Family Law

Cohabitation agreements

cohabitation agreementAlthough South African legislation now allows people of the same gender to get married, there are still many couples (homosexual as well as heterosexual) who prefer not to get married.

How to obtain a domestic protection order (interdict)

Domestic violenceThe Domestic Violence Act, 1998 (Act No 116 of 1998) allows you to apply for an interdict against your husband/wife/partner/children/parents or anyone in your household if they abuse you. 

However, few people know how to obtain an interdict. Here’s how:

What Actions Are Labeled as Domestic Violence

Domestic ViolenceIn South Africa, as in some other countries, domestic violence abusers are seldom successfully taken to court and punished.

PARENTAL RIGHTS - Especially for people who had a child but didn't get married

Parental rightsWith the introduction of the Children’s Act 38 of 2005, South Africa has moved away from its archaic school of thought which granted a mother full rights and responsibilities in respect of her child, while keeping the father confined to financial duties.Now, all the rights which were granted to a mother are also indefinitely granted to the biological father of the child,


Subscribe to RSS - Family Law